Sunday, August 06, 2006

Novels I Have Read-part II

Here begins my college sojourn. It would be very difficult to remember the choronology out here and the years i would give are approximate.

1. Atlas Shrugged (2001): The other epic of Ayn Rand, which is much more explicit about objectivism. however, for that very reason, I found it less enjoyable. It's a lot of theory and only a little a story.

2. Hundred years of solitude (2001): Magic realism, magic. This book introduced me to the writings of Gabriel garcia Marquez. The use of only two first names for all male characters in the book is what gives the book its character of stagnation but is, at the same time very confusing. However for people who want to read marques I wouldnt recommend this book as the starting point.

3. Love in the times of Cholera (2001): Best of the three Marquez books I have read and the one I will recommend for strangers to magic realism. However, this book is least representative of MArquez's patnt style of magic realism. Sometimes, but just as alcohol, its better that the introduction is small and mild.

4. A Portrait of the Artist as a young man (2001): Inspite of the fact that I can't remember the exact name of the book to save my life (goofed up in A interview) and the book was part of course reading, this is my favorite book. Introduced me to stream of consciousness, a style which appeals to me equally for its close imitation of reality and its complexity. Can't say that I can understand books written in this style completely, but still enjoy them a lot. These books are eminently re-readable, something which can't be said about too many books. Also, the description of the travails of growing up, and that too into something radical, is something I could understand. The irish setting exposed me to the hitherto unknown history of a new country, something thats never ceases to please me.

5. Lolita(2001): Don't shrug. Yes, the subject matter of the book is repulsive but this too was course reading. It is an example of experiments in modern fiction. Didn't enjoy the book that much. One last word, contrary to popular perception, there isn't much masala in this book.

6. A Clockwork Orange (2001): The third book I read as part of the same course, along with the two above. Even crazier that Lolita, this book by Anthony Burgees has been highly controverial in its time. The book is actually a thought experiment in my opinion and a rather intersting one. Rather sadly, I can't even remember the plot of the novel. Strange, very strange.

7. Grapes of Wrath (2001): Book by John Steinback, talks of poverty in America. Rather strange, you would think. But this was oklahoma, in times of depression. The book is a wonderful naration of how things go wrong with poor people.

8. Disgrace (2001): Award winning book by J.M koetzee, is about postb aparthied South Africa. Raises the question about historical retirbution and forms it can take. Distantly related to the reservation issue.

No comments: